Saturday, April 20, 2013

Technology and Teacher Development


I overheard my art history professor saying she wanted to learn how to use Youtube and other supporters as teaching apparatuses.  It got me thinking about how most of the art history professors that I have had used slides to teach.  I have only had one who used other methods.  She utilized virtual museums, Youtube, and other art specific websites that provided art documentaries whenever applicable.  So, even though we viewed slides about the Dogon Couple we were also able to watch a video depicting the process of art making, and the shift in Dogon culture from the past to the present.   This professor appeared to be in her early thirties and was the youngest professor I have ever had. 
            This caused me to question how the university handles professional development.  Does sharing best practices in the arts include best practices in technology as well? Does a teacher simply begin teaching in the way they were taught and continue that way through out their career?  How similar or different will professional development be within the school system that I will one day teach in and how can I supplement that?
            All of the classrooms I have been in that were not in the art building are wired for technological purposes.  They have overhead projectors that are equipped for watching VHS and CD’s.  It is understood that professors will most likely be using these things to supplement our learning.  In the art building only the two classrooms that are used for art history are wired like the above.  My studio classes have been devoid of technology that was not immediately associated with the type of art being taught.
             I have been a witness to the inconvenience this has caused studio professors who sometimes wanted to do a presentation, show a video clip or simply look up something really quickly.  This is the opposite as above, where the teachers wanted to use technology but felt they did not have adequate access.  As I plan to teach in an urban environment one day, I wonder which reality I will face.    How can you make due while still assisting students to the best of your ability? 

No comments:

Post a Comment